Monday, August 4, 2008

Love is like a Depeche Mode song...

I believe in true love. I am also an idiot.

I suppose I was brainwashed by Hollywood and the adult Top 40 hits of the 80s. These ridiculous and corny notions that love is the only thing that matters, that it can stand up in the face of anything. Love is all that matters. I believe those things. I was tricked!

I guess the key to being someone like me is finding some other sucker who believes the same thing. I know there has to be someone like that around, dealing with the same disappointments I am.

I know a few couples who are of the same mindset I am. I have no idea how they managed to find each other. And I have even less of a clue how they've managed to stay together in the face of a world that doesn't care. But I guess that's the whole point. The outside world doesn't matter.

I'm amazed at the reasons people have for breaking up. You aren't ambitious enough. You're not tall enough. You're don't make enough money. Are these reasons for being in love with someone or reasons you chose your particular banker?

I'd hate to go so far as to declare the world full of shallow people who're only looking out for themselves in the end. I know it's not that bad. But it's certainly discouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment