Friday, August 29, 2008

Sad Songs Are Nature’s Onions (Pt. 1)

(This is the first part in a long series about sad songs and how they are nature’s onions.)

Kate Bush-“Running Up That Hill”

Some songs make me sad, and then there’s the songs that make me want to pull out the veins in my wrists with my teeth. Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill” belongs in the second category. Oddly enough, the song isn’t an especially depressing one. Bush herself has stated that it’s simply about the way men and women don’t understand each other and how it would be interesting if they could swap places. But for some reason, it doesn’t sound like that. It sounds like the worst possible thing in the world has happened. My version is about cancer. Bush’s version is probably better.



And for your further enjoyment, a fan-made video for Placebo’s excellent cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment