Monday, May 11, 2009

5 Monday Music Thoughts

Eh, I found time.

* Admittedly, I didn’t know much about St. Vincent before I heard her latest single, “Actor Out Of Work.” All I knew was that the song stuck in my head something fierce and I was instantly in love. When I found out that St. Vincent is actually former Polyphonic Spree member Annie Clark, I smacked myself on the forehead. Her new album, Actor, is full of wonderfully disjointed pop songs like “Actor Out Of Work” and is a great early-summer find.



* There’s a new U2 video out, this one for the second single from No Line On The Horizon, “Magnificent.” I’m still on the fence about the new album. It’s not bad, but it does seem particularly boring. I sort of figured it would be a grower, but thus far, I’ve had no real desire to give it repeated spins. Has anyone figured out yet how to be in love with this record?


Magnificent - U2

* New. Placebo. Video. Album. Coming. June. Need I say more?



* I’ve been waiting around the last few months for people to start noticing Vancouver’s Japandroids. Their debut album, Post-Nothing, is a fun blend of pop and garage that just seems tailor-made for indie rock festivals and coffee shop arguments. And I have to give props to a band that decided to only release their album on vinyl and digital formats. CD’s are dead, yo.



* The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart have a new video for the ultra-poppy “Young Adult Friction.” My hope is that you’ll be sick of hearing about them before the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment