Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1st

(For the month of August, I will be posting something every single day that, hopefully, betters my life. Or enriches my experience. Or something new. Or something exciting. And I hope that all of you, my friends, join me on this ride.)

I think I've managed to make it pretty apparent here and elsewhere that I support gay causes. Equal rights for everyone is probably my biggest concern on a social level, so I tend to run my mouth every time I get a chance about it.

So, with that in mind, I'll be doing something rather special today at work. I will be going along with one of my bosses to take one of my patients to see a documentary on the Stonewall Riots.

This patient, who shall remain nameless, is, in effect, closeted. Despite his family and friends being in the know about his sexuality, he still refuses to actually admit that he's gay.

That's his choice and I respect that. But the hope today is that maybe he'll learn something from watching the documentary. Living in fear, to me, means you're not living. I hope today helps him somewhat. Or, at the very least, feel comfortable being in a room with like-minded individuals for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment