Monday, February 2, 2009

I Have Offended Somebody

Wow. Really, just wow.

Okay, so I’ve had this sort of thing going on in the background of my life involving a girl who started following me on Twitter last fall. She found me through our mutual LA friends, since I occasionally get to have conversations with them through the Twitter. She wanted to meet me since we both live in Bakersfield and, apparently, thought I was cute (DON‘T LAUGH! Okay, you can laugh…).

We wound up not meeting for a couple of months. When we did finally meet in late November, things went really weird really fast. We went out three times the last week of the month. In those three times, she jumped down my throat (literally), got jealous of my friends, and was totally weird, rude, and awkward towards everyone we came across. She was nice, but I could immediately tell that getting into a relationship with her would not go very well.

Before I go any further, let me just state for the record that she REALLY IS a nice person in a lot of ways. But she’s also, well, kind of crazy. I made an oblique reference to her in a public blog and she posted a reply that was very, ahem, offensive in regards to my, ahem, person in said public blog. Before I woke up and even saw this response, she sent me a txt message essentially saying, “I see how it is, I hope you have a nice life.” *blink, blink*

I deleted the comment and everything and she proceeded to call me about 10 times over the span of an hour. Eventually, everything sort of figured itself out. I told her that I wasn’t interested in getting into a relationship with her because I didn’t think it would work. But I was more that willing to try just being friends with her.

But even that didn’t go so well. She’d get drunk and cry. She’d proposition me. She outright tried to, ahem, do stuff to me. And I kept trying to let her down the gentlest way I could. A few weeks ago, we were hanging out. She got drunk again. She propositioned me again. After we parted ways, she mentioned on Twitter that she was in trouble. I asked what was going on and she told me,

“My boyfriend doesn’t like you and he doesn’t like it when we go out.”

*blink, blink* Wait, what? She was doing all of this while she had a boyfriend? OMFG! I was sincerely freaked out. So, I did my best to back off of her and be as blank and noncommittal as possible in regards to our friendship. I wasn’t rude or anything, I just didn’t give her any hook to hang her hat on. I didn’t let her drink around me. I just tried to let things be as calm as possible.

A few days ago, she txts me freaking out about my birthday. She wanted to come but wanted me to EXPRESSLY invite her in a personal way. I told her that everyone was invited. But she wanted me to make things about her. Not surprisingly, with certain of my friends she was rude to confirmed to be in attendance, she didn’t show up.

So, last night, she sent me a bunch of messages over Twitter upset about what an “asshole” I’ve been to her. I basically replied that I hadn’t done anything to her and I was tired of her always assuming I was mad at her or saying things about her. Honestly, she interpreted nearly everything I said over the months I knew her, regardless of who they were about, as being about her.

I went to sleep and woke up to find that she had blocked me on Twitter and had left me a txt telling me off. I was like, wtf? What’s going on? And she proceeded to send me a series of txt messages telling me what a bastard I am. My responses were kept very impersonal, so as not to play into it. It just made her say nastier things. I’m an insane, alcoholic, bastard and she never wants to talk to me again.

And the whole thing is funny to me, because the number of people who ACTIVELY hate me in this world is small. Really small. And I really didn’t do anything to her, outside of not getting into a relationship with her.

That was my morning. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment