* What’s the deal with all the great electro coming out of Canada these last few years? MSTRKRFT? Crystal Castles? Even Junior Boys, if you feel like stretching a bit. Now comes Thunderheist, an impressive duo whose debut album hits stores on March 31st. Thunderheist’s combination of jagged electronica and silky smooth hip hop vocals are a welcome thing to behold in the springtime.
* PJ Harvey is back, and this time around she’s reunited with her old pal John Parish. And guess what? The new single, “Black Hearted Love,” is the most upbeat thing she’s put out in ages. Not that the song is happy or anything, but White Chalk was one of most depressing albums ever. In other news, I still have a massive crush on PJ. But you probably do, too. Behold!
* The Horrors release their second album, Primary Colours, on May 4th. The album was produced by Portishead’s Geoff Barrow and if the first single, “Sea Within A Sea,” is any indication, it’s going to be a completely different affair than the first album. The new single is bit of Joy Division meets shoegaze with a dash of dreampop thrown in for good measure. Which is curious for a band whose first album sounded like Bauhaus covering The Cramps. Regardless, I’m excited.
* Jack White has another new band called The Dead Weather, with Alison Mosshart from The Kills on vocals. Do you care?
* You didn’t think I could get out of this month without mentioning Depeche Mode in some capacity again, did you? Depeche Mode frontman Dave Gahan has contributed backing vocals to frYars’ latest single, “Visitors.” And, well, if you like Depeche Mode, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll like frYars, too. Even if this video is a tad bit goofy.