Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Best Albums Of 2008 #13


The Presets-Apocalypso

When I hear The Presets, I think of a world that never existed. I think of a world that never moved past the 1980’s. Instead, the world just got tougher and harsher and more digitized. Game Boys became power tools, the Pet Shop Boys were anointed dual Popes, and Miami Vice never went out of style. It’s as if Max Headroom mated with Blade Runner and coughed out an Australian baby. If I could sum up The Presets with just one concept, it’s probably “8-Bit.” And I don’t mean the mixing movement, either.

The band’s second full-length album, Apocalypso, is an amazing blend of techno-rock from that imaginary world. “My People” is beat heavy and anthem-ready in all the right ways (Listen up, Does It Offend You, Yeah? You could learn a thing or two.). “This Boy’s In Love” is hands-down one of the five best songs of the year. “Talk Like That” is a hit single that never could happen in modern pop music. The Presets are the sound of cyber-punk and Philip K. Dick’s new favorite band.

“This Boy’s In Love”

1 comment:

  1. TLA, you have pretty good taste in music, I've actually never heard some of these albums, but they are pretty terrific! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete