Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pictures Of Moi


I took the above picture about an hour ago and it got me thinking about a conversation I had a week or so ago.

Dining companion: “Why do you take so many photos of yourself?” (Translation: “Are you an egotistical fucktard?”)

Me: “Well, there are two reasons. First, I hate lying about how I look. I want my pictures to be as current as possible, for better or for worse. And second, there’s a good four to five year span of my 20’s where there are hardly any pictures of me, and that’s weird.” (Translation: “Yes.”)

Dining companion: “And it’ll be nice for your son to have photos of you from when you were young.” (Translation: “You are so much older than me, old man.”)

Me: “Yeah, that too.” (Translation: “That sounded a lot better than what I said.”)

But it’s probably more subconscious than that. The fact of the matter is that I’m not the same person I was a year ago. That person is absolutely, positively dead. I barely remember who that person was. And I’m certainly not who I was six months ago. It helps to keep some sort of photographic record. To remember who I was back then. Who I am right now.

Whoever that is.

4 comments:

  1. I like the pictures. even when silly faces are made, I think they tell a story and I like looking at them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't they say "a picture is worth a thousand words?" My theory is that if a picture reminds you of where you were and where you don't want to be again then it's actually worth thousands of dollars in therapy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizet & Repliderium said it all! HA!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE that you take so many pictures of yourself. It actually...inspires me to try to be more transparent.

    ReplyDelete